Duncan,

I tried your CD_RIP_PN_PREF, however, I get the same results.

Using DEBUG=2, all I get is:
WARNING: Unknown CD, cover searching is disabled

My applicable local_conf settings are:
plugin.activate('audio.coversearch', args=('<my number>',) )

# AUDIO CDROM ripping
AUDIO_BACKUP_DIR = '/media/music'
CD_RIP_PN_PREF = '%(artist)s/%(album)s/%(song)s'
CDPAR_CMD = 'cdparanoia'
LAME_CMD = 'lame'
CD_RIP_LAME_OPTS = '-h'
OGGENC_CMD = 'oggenc'
CD_RIP_OGG_OPTS = '-q 3'
plugin.activate('audio.cdbackup')

I tried digging into the code in 1.5.4, but I never had any
success.  I'm good with perl, but not so good with python.
I'm learning ... I will try again.

Jim