On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 08:14:16 +0100
Paul Sijben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So I'd guess the next question is now what is the perfect MB for
> freevo?
>
> One would need:
>
> -capable of playing mpeg2,mp3,mpeg4
> -low noise (this also implies low-noise/fanless CPU setup)
> -at least 2 PCI slots
> -TV-out,optionally HD-TV-out
> -good sound
> -good price

Asus and MSI have some good candidates - boards with onboard Geforce
6150 w/ tv and hdtv-out.

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1138&l1=3&l2=101&l3=0

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K9NGM2-FID&class=mb

The asus comes with the tv-out bracket, the msi site says theirs is
'optional'.

the geforce6150 has enough xvmc oomph for mpeg2 ad HD resolutions. no
mpeg4 support in hardware, but that probably shouldn't be an issue. On
the other hand, I have no idea what it takes to decode h.264 at HD
resolutions - but at SD resolutions, my athlon-xp 1600 does just fine.

both support spdif out at 44.1 and 48khz, the msi board also does 96 and
192khz and at 20 and 24 bits.

Asus warns that their DVI connector does not support the common dongles
that convert DVI to RGB for analog monitors, and that you cannot use the
VGA port and TV-Out ports simultaneously. This is odd, but probably not
an issue for htpc use. The MSI board probably has the same restrictions
- I'm guessing it's a chipset thing.

athlon64 processors are as quiet as you make 'em. My 2-year-old 3500+
runs quite cool, so it should be possible to make a very quiet,
feature-rich system with either of these boards.

They both retail for about $90. The cheapest AM2 sempron is about $40
and may or may not be enough for HDTV. the cheapest full athlon64 is
about $85, and is certainly enough for HDTV. The cheapest dual-core
athlon64 is about $150 and probably massive overkill.

Other motherboard makers may have similar boards. Looks like good
hardware to me.