Duncan,

I have changed my recordingserver so it now also creates lockfiles with
the video dev appended.

I have looked at upsoon and that needs some work to make it work with
parallel recording, it does not need to kill the TV viewing if there is
another card available for recording (the policy I put into my patched
recording server is that it will take the last item in VIDEO_GROUPS
first and then work to the start to give TV viewing the best chance of
working).

So the test should be something like is there a recording coming up? If
so, check if there is an equivalent video device available from
record_groups, assume the recordserver will use that one and do nothing.

That is more work than I can put into it right now. I'll look at that later.

Paul

Duncan Webb wrote:
> Paul Sijben wrote:
>
>> I think that before this code is included in the main distribution a
>> couple of loose ends need fixing:
>>
>> - how to check for the number of (ivtv) capture cards without naively
>> checking against the length of  VIDEO_GROUPS (input needed, is there a
>> function to call for that???)
>>

> I think you would need to scan the video devices using tv.v4l2 it
> queries the devices capabilities. If you can read C check the
> ivtv-detect program in the ivtv-0.8.1 driver.
>

>> - I wrote:/ I am pretty sure I broke some system that handles
>> interaction between TV viewing and recording. /This is because I changed
>> the name of the lockfile to deal with multiple cards. So this needs to
>> be aligned with other parts of freevo that look at this lockfile.
>>

> IIRC, I changed the lockfile to use the video device name as a suffix,
> but you may need to fix upsoon as this checks this device and sends a
> stop to the player if the tv card's tuner is in use.
>

>> - I think conflict resolution needs a bit more refinement
>> - is there an elegant way (or even a need) to allow parallel recording
>> over multiple card types?
>>

> BTTV and saa713x cards use a raw video stream, which in turn needs
> encoding in real-time (The raw files are massive, 27Mb/sec). Real-time
> software encoding on more than one channel would put a very high load on
> the system, but I've not tried it.
>
> Duncan
>

>> Duncan Webb wrote:

>>> I'm interested to get some feedback from anybody who has tried Paul's
>>> changes, if some of you are using this and others want to use it then
>>> I'm more than happy to add the changes into rel-1.
>>>
>>> Duncan

Paul Sijben             mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Amersfoort, NL          http://www.sijben.net
tel:+31 334557522       fax:+31 33 4557523