On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 09:08 +0000, Karl Lattimer wrote:
> I would recommend that you get a creative labs card, one which supports
> SPDIF optical/coaxial out and has 7.1 channels. This gives you as much
> range as you will probably ever need, personally I'd like a usb device
> with multiple sound inputs and creative make one of those too which also
> works in linux.

If you're working with a home theater setup, definitely get a sound card
that supports digital output.  I personally use the integrated audio in
my motherboard, which uses digital out.

Seriously, for almost all HTPC use, a whiz-bang card is highly overkill.
The best sound card I ever had for HTPC was my old Creative Sound
Blaster Live MP3 Edition.  It used the emu10k1 driver, which supports
hardware mixing (one of the few or only cards with hardware mixing
supported by ALSA), and it had digital out.  Well supported and all the
features you would need.

Cheers,
Jason.