Bastian Farkas wrote ..
> err... don't you guys miss some little detail here? freevo is a
> standalone app. it does not make sense in my opinion to have some fancy
> graphical installer. you don't need gnome or some other desktop
> environment on a dedicated freevo box (running freevo non-dedicated is
> just stupid, there are lots of other media player and tv programs).
> if you want it to be easy for new users to install freevo what you need
> is some little distro (maybe based on debian or gentoo), which you can
> ship on a single cd, with some ncurses-based installer which asks some
> questions about which tvcard to use or the remote control (things which
> are hard to auto-detect, but relatively easy to know even for an
> inexperienced user). the best example for something like this is linvdr:
> http://linvdr.org/projects/linvdr/index.en.php

there are two themes (which are not mutually exclusive) under the one heading,
which as usual in a long email conversation, no longer is relevant to the
topics.

A) the distro theme mentioned here which is aimed at dealing with the vagaries
of kernel patching to get tv cards working and getting all the relevant
packages onto your computer. It would have a way of putting libdvdcss and win32
codecs and other stuff on without upsetting things too.
There are self-installing distros with excellent hardware detection and package
management.

B) the freevo configuration utility (which Karl, I think is worth more than one
beer). this is something which would be appreciated by many people and perhaps
could be farmed out. At this time of year in the southern hemisphere the
Computer Science faculties look for interesting projects for students to
complete during the coming year. Karl do you have any objection if I forward
this list of yours in a University direction (or two)?
liz