On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 13:17 +0100, Duncan Webb wrote:
> video and audio come out of the PVR card, on the scart cable. But it is
> not very well supported under Linux, there is no alsa mixer for the
> PVR-350 so the volume levels need to be controlled by the TV (or amp).

I bought a PVR-350 a couple years back with the hopes that the video out
support would improve, because it's one of the few cards that would
properly handle interlaced output.

The video out on the 350 is workable if all you want to do is output
captured material.  But as a general use output (i.e. freevo gui) in
combination with generic material (random AVIs, dvd rips, etc) it is
rather problematic.

> The sound and video are captured in a mpeg stream and played back with
> mplayer or xine. BTW I was confused at first.

The 350 has an mpeg2 decoder, so you can actually just dump a captured
mpeg directly to /dev/video32 (or video16, I forget) and have it play
back.  Of course this way you can't exactly pause/seek.  mplayer had
some kludgy support for doing this in the form of mpegpes vo, or some
derivatives thereof (ivtv output).  I haven't tried this recently, but
last year it was not very good.

Jason.