Hi,

I struggled with making my own IR receiver to use with LIRC but it's
been > 1 year with no progress. (yeah.. Lazy :-) )

Anyway, i stumbled across Bluemote (can't remember the URL right now)
but it connects a Bluetooth enabled phone (I have a Sony Ericssion T630
and according to the site, the author makes it work on his T610)

Got it up and running in < 30 min, right now, fine tuning it with some
scripts etc to do volume muting/volume up/dn etc..

The SE's joystick can be used as a mouse(if needed)

Limitation is only towards the # of keypad the phone has.

I've tried it with Freevo and it works great. (under X11, but not yet as
standalone so I can't confirm if it will work standalone)

Additional benefit is it can even transmit simple commands to the host
pc via an exec command.