On Fri, 23 February, 2007 9:04 am, Gary Steele wrote:
> Hello freevo users,
>

> I live in the Netherlands and I have just upgraded to freevo 1.6.3
> from 1.6.2. I have had some problems recently with unicode characters in
> program and channel names.
>
> Some of these problems were fixed by the upgrade: in particular, in
> 1.6.2, the webserver would crash when displaying the program guide or
> the manual recordings page, usually crashing when it reached a channel name
> that contained two "accent aigu" (Belgie één). This has been fixed in
> 1.6.3 after generating the ISO-8859-1 and setting sitecustomize.py to
> use the ISO-8859-1 locale for encoding.
>
> However, I am still having some unicode related problems. In particular,
> when trying to add a program on "Belgie één" to my favourites list, I got a
> recordserver error ("connection lost"). Attached below is some info from
> the freevo stdout out and the recordserver logfile with DEBUG=1 in
> local_conf.py. It seems to be a problem with the unicode handling of some
> of the xml functions.

I think that what you have done is wont work 100%. sitecustomize.py should
have utf-8 and local_conf.py should have LOCALE=ISO-8859-1. This way when
Python translates a string to Unicode it will try utf-8 encoding first and
then iso-8859-1 second.

If you have non-ASCII characters in local_conf you need to either make
them unicode, i.e. u'Belgie één' or add a coding line at the top of the
local_conf.

HTH
Duncan