Jason Tackaberry wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 12:23 +0000, Karl Lattimer wrote:
>> I think the RPM for python-kaa-metadata needs an obsoletes mmpython
>> line added into the spec so mmpython is removed when the 1.7 rpms go
>> live.

Yes, there is an obsolstes clause in the SPEC file for
python-kaa-metadata to do so.

> Karl, are you maintaining the RPMs now?

Not that I know of. I don't mind if he'd take over, but my previous
email to him on this issue went unanswered. My guess is no (from the
other responses regarding crashes in 1.6.3).

> Kaa modules can build RPMs of themselves via the distutils bdist_rpm
> command (though I just discovered it was a bit broken somehow -- I fixed
> it in svn now).  Kaa's distutils wrapper in kaa.base makes bdist_rpm
> suck less by adding metadata for things like dependencies (which can
> vary by distribution) and obsoletes inside the setup.py file.
>
> Kaa's bdist_rpm wrapper can take 3 additional command line options:
>
>       * --dist <distcode> - builds the RPM based on the metadata
>         specified for the given <distcode>.  (See kaa/display/setup.py
>         for an example of how fc4 is treated differently.)
>       * --release <n> - set the release number to <n>.  e.g. if
>         --release 5, then it will be
>         kaa-python-package-version-5.i386.rpm
>       * --snapshot - builds a snapshot based on the current date.
>         (Useful for packaging svn checkouts.)
>
> In general it should just be a matter of doing 'python setup.py
> bdist_rpm' in any kaa module directory to build the RPM.  It's better to
> add the metadata for the package to setup.py rather than maintain a
> separate spec file.

I'm not familiar with the bdist mechanism. However, there are some
BuildRequires that I added to the SPEC file to deal with dependencies.
I guess that is most of the changes needed to maintain the SPEC file I
wrote (other than the description, etc). The other stuff is pretty
standard and is mostly handled by setup.py. I'll send you the SPEC file
in a private email FYI.

T.C.
- --
Wan Tat Chee (Senior Lecturer)
School of Computer Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia,
11800 USM, Penang, Malaysia.             Rm.625 Ofc Ph: +604 653-3617
NRG Lab Admin: +604 659-4757           Rm.601-F Ofc Ph: +604 653-4396
Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]            Web: http://nrg.cs.usm.my/~tcwan
GPG Key : http://nrg.cs.usm.my/~tcwan/tcwan-usm-20060710.asc
F'print : 4DD0 0363 DB9E E08C 9F18  4BBC EC18 4BE2 7699 8CF2