Gino wrote:
> Hello.....
>

> There is a similar mail, talking I think about the same, but finished
> talking about a patch por tv plugin for mplayer.... this is not my
> case.. as I dont use TV plugins at all.. only watch to videos. I have
> searched for previous emails, and at wiki, also "googling", but cannot
> fix myself....
>

> I am not too much expert managing sound in linux, and I don´t know what
> else to do.... any help or idea would be highly appreciated...
>

> First of all, my config (other settings are default ones):
>

> #AUDIO_DEVICE = '/dev/audio'
>
> #DEV_MIXER = '/dev/mixer'
>
> #plugin.remove('mixer')
>
> plugin.activate('mixer')

This is the default you only need:
plugin.remove('mixer')
plugin.activate('ossmixer')
or
nothing

> #plugin.activate('ossmixer')
>
> MAJOR_AUDIO_CTRL = 'PCM'

This means that freevo controls the PCM channel of the mixer. If you can
see freevo and the mixer at the same time you can see what freevo is
doing with the audio

> CONTROL_ALL_AUDIO = 1

This means that freevo controls other devices
> DEFAULT_VOLUME = 90
>
> and...
>
> MPLAYER_AO_DEV = 'alsa'
> XINE_AO_DEV = 'alsa'

These are fine

> Ubuntu Edgy.... running in fs mode without gnome or others.... freevo
> 1.7 final.
>

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# /sbin/modinfo soundcore
> filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic/kernel/sound/soundcore.ko
> author:         Alan Cox
> license:        GPL
> alias:          char-major-14-*
> vermagic:       2.6.17-10-generic SMP mod_unload 586 REGPARM gcc-4.1
> depends:
> srcversion:     C2D094BCAA551D6738DF488
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~# cat /proc/asound/cards
>
>  0 [SI7012         ]: ICH - SiS SI7012
>                       SiS SI7012 with CMI9761 at 0xdc00, irq 201
>  1 [SAA7134        ]: SAA7134 - SAA7134
>                       saa7133[0] at 0xcfffb800 irq 193

You may need a VIDEO_GROUP setting for the SAA7134 chip on your tv card.
VIDEO_GROUPS = [
    VideoGroup(vdev='/dev/video0',
      vvbi = '/dev/vbi0',
      adev =
'alsa:adevice=hw.1,0:amode=1:audiorate=32000:forceaudio:immediatemode=0',
      input_type = 'tuner',
      input_num = 0,
      tuner_norm = CONF.tv,
      tuner_chanlist = CONF.chanlist,
      desc = 'Pinnacle 110i Group',
      group_type = 'tvalsa',
    ),
]

> The facts:
>
> - With the config above, I can see osd turning up or down volume, but
> nothing happens at all.... but I can mute sound, and if I volume==0 then
> sound is muted also.

How have you connected the speakers to your freevo box?

> - If I try other mixer (i have other one I suppose for the DVBT card),
> mixer1, then I cannot manage the sound and I cannot mute.
>
> - If I try turning MAJOR_AUDIO_CTRL = 'VOL', then I cannot manage the
> sound and I cannot mute.
>
> - If I try using default oss for players and activating ossmixer, is
> just the same case, I can see osd turning up or down volume, but nothing
> happens at all.... but I can mute sound, and if I volume==0 then sound
> is muted also.
>
> - If I use alsamixer, I CAN manage the sound perfectly, and turn up and
> down PCM column (does manage the sound really, just listening to the
> changes) as Master column (simply do nothing)... alsamixer does pretty
> good with PCM control...... With master nothing happens.
>
> - If I use aumix, curiously I can move Vol raw, but nothing happens.....
> also I cannot move Pcm raw (its hardly linked to the 100% and cannot
> move it)...... but...... I can press mute and all is muted. So Aumix can
> only mute the sound if I press (M)ute. The bars does not do nothing.

You should see a 'M' below the bar when a channel is muted.

> I don´n know what else I could say. What can I do? any idea?

What does /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asound.conf contain?

It seems strange that PCM works and VOL does not work, it looks like
alsa has not been configured correctly.

Duncan