Never mind.  All it needed was a simple update of drivers!

Rather than just close the thread unceremoniously, hows about I describe
how to play and record simultaneously with dual DVB cards?

Right.  Assuming your DVB is working and you know how to watch with one
card in freevo, do the following in the TV section of local_conf.py;

VIDEO_GROUPS = [
         #VideoGroup[0]
                 VideoGroup(
                         vdev='/dev/video0',  #For the benefit of lockfiles
                         adev=None,
                         input_type='tuner',
                         input_num=1,
                         desc='DVB Viewer',
                         group_type='dvb',
                         record_group=1),
         #VideoGroup[1]
                 VideoGroup(
                         vdev='/dev/null',  #For the benefit of lockfiles
                         adev=None,
                         input_type='tuner',
                         input_num=2,
                         desc='DVB Recording',
                         group_type='dvb',
                         record_group=None)
         ]

VCR_CMD = CONF.mplayer + ' -dumpstream -dumpfile %(filename)s
"dvb://[EMAIL PROTECTED](channel)s" '

This will use the second head to record (designated as dvb://[EMAIL PROTECTED]
) and
viewing will use the default head (being the first one).  This is a much
better way to do this than I have previously, as it does not require
laborious modification to tv.guide.py or recordserver.py.   The wiki
doesnt really have a good description of multituner support for dvb,
hopefully the above helps.  I am looking forward to a smarter recordserver
that will allow simultaneous recording, and booting you off watching if a
recording is about to start on the last available tuner.

Please note that the above was done with a DVICO dual DVB-T.  Unfortunate
side-effect of simltaneous use of the tuners is that signal quality
decreases significantly when both tuners are in use.

-Stygen