Hi,

In order to get a better sense of what CPUs are needed to decode more
demanding HDTV content (h264 1080p specifically), I'm wondering if I
could trouble some freevo users to run a quick benchmark for me.  I am
especially keen on hearing results from those running Core 2 Duos and
AMD X2s.  If you have an older CPU, don't bother. :)

This isn't intended to be a thorough or scientific benchmark by any
means; I'm just wanting to get an idea of what CPUs I ought to be
recommending as a base minimum to handle reasonably demanding HDTV content.

So, please fetch
http://images.apple.com/movies/us/hd_gallery/gl1800/1080p/cornell_m1080p.mov
and using a recent version of MPlayer (preferably a recent svn
checkout), run:

  time mplayer cornell_m1080p.mov -nosound -vo null -benchmark -lavdopts
fast:skiploopfilter=nonref

Please take the average of three runs and, of course, make sure nothing
else substantial is vying for CPU time.

Also, run the video itself and watch it:

  mplayer -fs cornell_m1080p.mov -lavdopts fast:skiploopfilter=nonref

Watch for any frame dropping, which can be noticed in the second last
number of the status line mplayer outputs, e.g.:

A:   6.1 V:   4.9 A-V:  1.142 ct:  0.023 148/148 95%  8%  3.6% 53 0

                                                              ^^^^
                             indicates 53 dropped frames so far

Watch if mplayer outputs "Your system is too SLOW to play this!"  Even
if there is frame dropping as indicated on the status line, observe the
overall cadence and a/v sync of the video and decide if, subjectively,
it's watchable despite the occasional dropped frames.  (A/V sync might
be, admittedly, hard to determine with this particular video, but it's
worth noting that the music is timed to certain scene changes.)

Please report back the following:

   1. Output of /proc/cpuinfo
   2. Output of uname -r
   3. The motherboard you're using, if you happen to know it
   4. Version of mplayer used
   5. The average time of the three -benchmark runs.
   6. Whether or not you experienced frame dropping or mplayer
      complained about your system being too slow to play back the video
      in realtime
   7. What video card and drivers you're using, and x.org version
      (relevant in #6 above, but not #5).
   8. Any other useful observations with this and other HD material you
      happen to have tested.

Again, I'm not trying to be precise here.  I just want to get a better
sense of the processor requirements for high resolution h264 content,
particularly for AMD X2 processors (since I have the least experience
with those). In particular I realize that libavcodec's h264 decoder is
presently only single threaded, and I realize there are other decoding
options out there (CoreAVC).

Thanks,
Jason.