Evan, thank you very much for your help and advice and my apologies
for my delay in replying, summer holidays and a thirteen year old son
to entertain = no computer access for me - he's trying to get to
level 40 in World of Warcraft!

I managed to stop the crashing by using a blanked out config and then
just tentatively re-applying various elements. I really only want
FLAC replay to work at present although the rest would be nice as I
do have a spare Elgato USB TV card... So it would appear to work on
the Mac PPC - hurrah, I still have a few niggles however.

1. Still getting errors on start up...
        a. Couldn't open mixer /dev/mixer
plugin mixer deactivated, reason: unknown
Even though all references appear to be disabled?

        b. Error: VIDEO_SHOW_DATA_DIR not found
I don't think anything for this is enabled?

c. WARNING: PyLirc not found, lirc remote control disabled!
  I guess this is fine, although I would like to get the remote
working at some point.

2. Problems in use.
        a. Menu seems not to have a proper highlight - the background image
seems to corrupt to the right of the menu selection - so you can sill
navigate ... just.

        b. No album images. I've amended the config to look for my album
covers - Folder.jpg files but am getting
"error caching image /Users/Shared/Music/Alison Krauss/A Hundred
Miles Or More~A Collection/Folder.jpg
caching image: no loader for file format
error caching image /Users/Shared/Music/Alison Krauss/A Hundred Miles
Or More~A Collection/Folder.jpg
caching image: no loader for file format
Problem while loading image "thumb:///Users/Shared/Music/Alison
Krauss/A Hundred Miles Or More~A Collection/Folder.jpg"
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/
python2.5/site-packages/freevo/osd.py", line 652, in loadbitmap
     image = pygame.image.fromstring(data[0], data[1], data[2])
TypeError: 'NoneType' object is unsubscriptable.... "

In particular the thumb bit seems to be wrong - "thumb:///Users/
Sh..." I only have one iage for album covers.

        c.  Only some FLAC files seem to play. I think this is mPlayer as
when i tried to play it with my desktop mPlayer I had the same
problems. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Would it be possible to
use VLC? Everything else I have plays these FLAC files fine. I will
try and contact the mPlayer people with the errors. I can post here
if required.

        d. When shut down from the menu - it still leaves Python running -
which I can shut with a CTRL C in a terminal - or shut the
transparent python in my dock. Is this how it is supposed to work?

Many thanks,

Russ

On 31 Jul 2007, at 17:02, Evan Hisey wrote:

> Russell-
>    For the record the MacOSX port/install is still really
> experimental. This means that very few people use it so any bugs you
> encounter are likely to have been unseen by any one else. That said, I
> would recommend first disabling the mixer plugin in the local_config
> file. According to the Wiki volume control does not yet work under
> freevo yet anway.
>

>> Mac OS X 10.4 PPC crash at start-up: procstats instance has no
>> attribute 'currentCpu'
>  I am also not sure if freevo will actually work on ppc chip.
>

>> "WARNING: PyLirc not found, lirc remote control disabled!
> You can ignore this warning. It just means that you will not have the
> LIRC support.
>

>> Couldn't open mixer /dev/mixer
>> plugin mixer deactivated, reason: unknown
>> The plugin neither called __init__ nor set a reason why
>> Please contact the plugin author or the freevo list
>> Crash!
> This the killer. It looks the mixer plugin is just barfing when it can
> not find the /dev/mixer. As mentioned above, start by disabling the
> mixer plugin and see if it will actually start.
>
> Evan

Russ