On Wednesday 15 August 2007 4:14 pm, Henne Vogelsang wrote:
> > Mine, the openSUSE one, covers more versions since it's built on SUSE's
> > build cluster. It also supports 1-click install from
> > software.opensuse.org, which will be available in openSUSE 10.3.
>
> Uhm. And has no means of providing a full experience. From packman you
> get everything from freevo itself to packaged media players, support
> tools and even emulators.

The only things Novell, or any commercial distributor, can't distribute are
MPlayer and some patented codecs, neither of which are required for Freevo to
operate normally as a PVR. I don't need patented codecs to watch what I
record. If someone wants to install MPlayer from Packman, Freevo will detect
and use it.

When I first started packaging Freevo for SUSE in 2003, I actually made it
require the Packman MPlayer, so that apt would install it automatically. I
later removed the requirement once SUSE stopped shipping it since it wasn't
truly required. Xine, which does still ship in openSUSE works fine with
Freevo.

Also, I know people that use Freevo to record programs, but never run the main
program.

> All in a repository that 90% of the openSUSE users have already in their
> setup.

I highly doubt that 90% of openSUSE users have Packman in their installation
sources. Maybe 90% of openSUSE users that download movies and tv shows from
the Internet, but definitely not 90% of *all* users.

However, I can reliably say that 100% of openSUSE users use openSUSE's
installation sources. :-)

Also, there's the problem that Packman has no Factory target, so those of us
who track Factory end up having having to rebuild packages constantly.

I've actually been working on a solution to that, but it's not quite ready
yet.

> 1-click install will also come for
> packman and building it for more distributions is also no problem (i did
> not do that because of download statistics). So James, care to share
> maintainership with me on that one?

1-click install allows the creation of patterns that span multiple
repositories. I hope this allows better integration and less duplication of
effort.

I'd be happy to share maintainership. Do you have a buildservice account?

--
James Oakley