Duncan Webb wrote:

> With the svn version you will need to add:
> LOGGING = logging.DEBUG
> Using CHILDAPP_DEBUG = 9 does no more that CHILDAPP_DEBUG=1
> Generally logging levels > 1 provide too much information that you will
> not be able to see the wood for the trees :)

Well, as I suspected, it was user error.  I must not have had libdvdread
installed when I build kaa from source.  I was able to determine that
kaa didn't have DVD support build in by running

$ mminfo -d 2 /dev/hdc
kaa media metadata info
setting to log level 2
DEBUG factory(267): Trying audio/cd
DEBUG factory(267): Trying video/dvd
DEBUG dvd(146): kaa.metadata not compiled with DVD support
DEBUG factory(267): Trying video/vcd
DEBUG factory(267): Trying cd/unknown

/dev/hdc
|       type: CD
|    subtype: data
|      media: MEDIA_DISC
|       mime: unknown/unknown
|         id: 2006030817250800MY_LITTLE_PONY_DISC_1
|      label: MY_LITTLE_PONY_DISC_1

(No My Little Pony jokes, please, I do all of this for my daughters :)

So, after ensuring I had libdvdread installed, I ire-installed kaa and
now I can play DVD's.

But I think I know what the OP's problem is: from the Watch a Movie
menu, you have to use the PLAY function (I press the play button on my
remote, not sure what the equivalent keyboard key is) on the DVD item,
not ENTER as before.  If you press ENTER, you get a listing of files on
the DVD.  I think I remember a thread somewhere mentioning that this
would be new behavior ...

-Doug Seifert