----- Original Message ----
From: John Molohan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Bert Kneepkens wrote:
> I tried googling, but i can't really understand what option is best.
> The most important one is the option 'input', the config file gives
> some descriptions of mpeg2_ps, mpeg2_ts, mpeg1 mpeg2_pes_av
> mpeg2_pes_v... but i don't understand the difference.

Hello Bert and John. I was curious about the different stream types too (I have
a PVR-250) and decided to take a quick jaunt out on the 'net. Wikipedia turned
out to be a goldmine of information.

PES: Packetized Elementary Stream
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packetized_Elementary_Stream)
A stream (audio, video, data) that has a packet header every so many bytes. In
the case of the IVTV card, I would guess these are pes_v (video only), pes_a
(audio only) and pes_av (both).

PS: Program Stream (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program_stream)
A combination of one or more PESes. I'm once again guessing the ability exists
for a PS to carry multiple PESes, maybe like multiple angles or multiple audio
tracks on DVD. It's all one PS, but the decoder can chose among different
(synched) audio and video streams. I think this is the option you'd most likely
want for recording on Freevo.

TS: Transport Stream (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG_transport_stream)
A PS with extra data for synchronizing and error correction over unreliable
media, such as digital broadcast. If you piped your IVTV card output right onto
the network, this would probably be a good choice. Otherwise it looks like PS
is better for more reliable media (such as DVD or hard drives).

Additionally, There is the mysterious DVD-Compatible setting(s)... I'm using
DVD-compatible for now, but I don't know if PS would offer better/worse quality
for the same bitrate.

For what it's worth, I'm running the latest IVTV drivers where they've merged
in with V4L2 (i.e., you use v4l2-ctl to change most settings on your card
instead of ivtv-ctl) and there are only five stream types available:

     * MPEG-2 Program Stream
     * MPEG-1 System Stream
     * MPEG-2 DVD-compatible Stream
     * MPEG-1 VCD-compatible Stream
     * MPEG-2 SVCD-compatible Stream

Unfortunately, I have no idea what the differences may be in the 'compatible'
stream types, aside from VCD being MPEG1 and the others being MPEG2. Maybe
someone could encode the same piece of a program at the same bitrate but
different stream types and see if there are any noticable differences.

Also the stream_type numbers have changed (10 is no longer DVD compatible, now
it's 3). Just a heads-up if you're using the newer versions.

That's all I got on stream types. I seem to remember finding a website that had
some good explanation of the dnr settings, but I don't remember where it was
now. Hope some of this helps!

James