Duncan-
  I can confirm that there is something off with the weather plugin in
1.7.4. Plugin is pulling data fine from the server on my older 1.6.2
install but is just giving a big '?' on 1.7.4. Was there a code change
in the plugin? The description of the plugin says the same
plugin.activation string from 1.6.2 should work for 1.7.4

Evan