On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 18:26 +0100, Alberto Hernando wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have a dvb related question. Not directly related to freevo, but, depending
> on the answer, it might be in the future. I'm doing this question here
> because some people might now and, who knows, depending on the country it
> might be important.
>
> My question is about dvb-t, the standard behind digital terrestril tv, the
> new
> tv in Europe. In every analog channel, there is a stream containing up to 4
> digital channels (that is, audio+video, what you see), and perhaps some data
> or some more audio channels. It is an mpeg2 strean, and the cards used in
> computers can tune a channel, extract the stream and decode it. So, the
> question:
>
> What if the stream isn't in mpeg2 but in mpeg4 (for example)? I think that,
> at
> least in Spain, some tests have been done to increase quality with the same
> bitrate. What I want to know is if the same cards will work in this case.
> Will they still capture the stream and let the cpu (mplayer rocks) decode it?
> Or the signal will just be ignored? The modulation won't change, so the card
> should see the signal and, at least, the receiver should see the bitstream,
> but if someone knows for sure, I'd like to know. It would be great to know
> that even if dvb-t changes this, we won't need a new receiver.
>
> Alberto

To answer your question Alberto, no you won't need a new card to receive
the new MPEG4 channels. To be more specific, DVB-T current specifies the
use of MPEG2 to encode the Video and Audio (with AC-3 also being
allowed). This encoded video/audio is carried in an MPEG2 transport
stream, this is used even if the video is MPEG4 encoded. The information
in the MPEG2 transport streams allows the decoder to pick the right
codec be that MPEG2 video or MPEG4.

Of course once DVB-T2 starts to be transmitted, then you might need a
new card, but it hasn't even been drafted yet.

Cheers

Adam