I have a bunch of videos stored on CD and DVD, and my old Freevo setup
used to play these with no problem (unlike MythTV).

With Freevo 1.8.0, no such luck. On investigation, it seems that right
before the call to MPlayer.play() there are two calls:
directory.py calls self.media.umount()
ejectromdrives.py calls item.media.umount()
Naturally, once umounted, the file can no longer be seen, and
mplayer.py returns an error that may or may not freeze Freevo.
Looking deeper, it seems that every time I change directory there is a
call to utils.umount_all().
I can't imagine why anybody thought that would be a good idea.

So why does Freevo keep umounting my drive, and how do I stop it?

Also, I have a USB drive that is not always there. If I mention it in
local_conf.py, I get an error message to standard out and log
every second about how the device isn't there. That really isn't
helpful. Can this message be disabled?