No, that's not the way it happened at all.
I thought my hard drive was the trouble, obtained a replacement and then at
install tested the memory, so I'm rebuilding my Freevo box with gentoo on a
new drive.
Which file contains the Favourites list?
Because I should be able to copy that over from the old disk and have that bit
working faster.
What else is worth copying? (or backing up in the future?)

--
Lisa:   Dad, I think that's pretty spurious.

Homer:  Well, thank you, honey.

                -- Homer Simpson
                   Homer vs. Lisa and the 8th Commandment