Davide Lucchesi <davide <at> lucchesi.eu.org> writes:

> piren-remaster should be already installed within the live distribution:
> this means that you can install it directly from the live environment.
> However, the installation procedure will not produce a running system
> like the one you can obtain with a regular Debian (or Ubuntu)
> installation, but the live image will be copied to specified HDD (or
> USB) partition.

Davide,

If I might suggest, an "install to HD as Debian" script with a matching
command.fxd file & Freevo menu option might be in order as a way for people to
quickly build up a new Freevo box using the Piren distribution.  I've been using
Debian systems for about 6 years now, and I'm having a hard time wrapping my
head around the whole piren-remaster thing.  I have two Ubuntu-based HTPC's that
I want to switch to Debian, and I would like to use Piren to do it, since you've
done such a nice job of creating an HTPC appliance live-CD (as opposed to my
kludgy, stripped-down-desktop-OS HTPCs).  My SOHO server/Freevo recordserver is
already running a mixed Debian stable/unstable distro, and it's generally
bullet-proof.

In my household, Freevo is rapidly becoming a "critical system", so I've been
trying to move towards having an "experimental" Freevo running in VMware, where
I can snapshot, test and re-package .debs as needed to deploy to the
"production" boxes.  My wife and kids get annoyed with me when an "upgrade" to
add new features breaks my kludgy Ubuntu boxes ;-)  My stumbling block has been
trying to install to Hard Disk using Piren, and I've been considering just using
Debian netboot and build it up from there.

I think the whole Piren concept is a good one, where you can create and
repackage for live CD/USB stick usage, but I think there's a whole other market
that wants an installer for a working system that's upgradeable via the standard
Debian repositories.  Something along the lines of Mythbuntu
(http://www.mythbuntu.org/), but for Freevo.  I hope you consider adding an
install to HD as Debian option to the next version of Piren, or at least put up
a How-to for it on the piren.org website.

Thanks for your work on Piren; as I said earlier, you've done a great job of
creating an HTPC appliance distro, and it's something I'd really like to be able
to use.

Cheers!

/Mike