Yessss :)
Thank you Jason. Indeed it was the -vo gl that was causing the frame drops.
the -vo xv works like a breeze (<40% of one CPU)
I don't know why I choose it and did not think to test over vo... but this was my mistake.
Thank you again...
So for future googlers: 1080p IS working nice and smooth on a e8200 + g35(x3500/i965) under ubuntu 8.10 hardy.

    Olivier