Duncan Webb wrote:
> So the black bars need to be cropped off and the image aspect needs to
> be changed to wide-screen. I tend to use mplayer rather than xine and
> with mplayer you can add mplayer-options to the fxd file which allow
> specific options for the video.
>
> It is also possible to use a <video>.conf in /etc/mplayer or ~/.mplayer.
> So in the example you can have a
> 12-28_18_15_Secret_Millionaire_Changed_My_Life.conf file with options
> for playback.
>
> I would be nice to do this automatically, AUTOCROP will fine the crop
> setting before playback starts but this can freeze on certain video
> types and does delay the start of playback while running mplayer with
> the -vf cropdetect.
>
> If someone has a better solution then please do say.

I did some searching in google about xine and widescreen because I was
sure this used to "just work".. Finally found the answer. In my old
xorg.conf I had the following in my "Monitor" section:

DisplaySize 400 225

This was missing in my new xorg.conf and apparently xine uses this to
determine output size. Simply putting it in and restarting X and all is
working as normal :)

Not sure what that is doing to the quality of my output but given it is
a 28inch CRT telly I doubt it makes much difference and my videos look
much better. Hopefully this will help someone else too.