On Tuesday 3 March 2009 13:56, Duncan Webb wrote:
> Philip Tuckey wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have some videos in mpeg2 PS (vob files from DVDs) and TS (recorded
> > from digital tv) formats. In addition to the video they contain
> > subtitles, which are seen and played correctly by standalone xine but
> > not by mplayer. Googling appears to indicate that mplayer is not able
> > to read these subtitles, but I could have misunderstood(?).
> >
> > I would like to be able to select and display these subtitles within
> > freevo, and I see that video.xine contains code for
> > VIDEO_NEXT_SUBTITLE events. So I set VIDEO_PREFERED_PLAYER to xine and
> > I tried to add the necessary video event for xine as follows:
> >
> > EVENTS['video']['SUBTITLE'] = Event(VIDEO_NEXT_SUBTITLE)
> >
> > However this does not work. Freevo launches xine to play the video,
> > but pressing the 'SUBTITLE' button on my remote does not get me the
> > subtitles, nor any other feedback as far as I can see.
> >
> > Can anyone help? Is my 'SUBTITLE' event for xine wrong?  Or is it
> > possible to get mplayer to display these subtitles?
> >
> > For information, I have also tried the standard lang and subtitle
> > event bindings for mplayer:
> >
> > EVENTS['video']['LANG'] =
> > Event(VIDEO_SEND_MPLAYER_CMD,arg='switch_audio')
> > EVENTS['video']['SUBTITLE'] =
> > Event(VIDEO_SEND_MPLAYER_CMD,arg='sub_select')
> >
> > The first of them works fine - I can cycle the audio tracks - but the
> > second does not, for these mpeg2 files I am talking about.
> >
> > For xine, I also tried to create a LANG event as follows:
> >
> > EVENTS['video']['LANG'] = Event(VIDEO_NEXT_AUDIOLANG)
> >
> > but this does not work, it seems to have no effect.
>
> For mplayer the following works for me.
>
> EVENTS['video']['SUBTITLE'] = Event(VIDEO_SEND_MPLAYER_CMD,
> arg='vobsub_lang')

Thanks Duncan

I think this is equivalent to what I mentioned above - according to the
mplayer doc vobsub_lang is just a "stub" for sub_select - and it works
fine for me for videos for which mplayer can read the subtitles. Which
does not appear to be the case for the .vob and MPEG TS files I have.

> Never tested xine; the "slave" command for the next subtitle is SpuNext
> so I would try:
> EVENTS['video']['SUBTITLE'] = Event(VIDEO_SEND_XINE_CMD, arg='SpuNext')

Thanks I will try that. Looking at video/xine.py, it seems there is a
problem because xine does not wrap around in the subtitle list - this is
done by hand in the freevo code. So maybe I have to bind one key for going
up and another for going down in the list of subtitles.

> The full list of bindings are in the xine-ui files: src/fb/actions.c
> src/xitk/kbindings_common.c

Ah yes, source code... If I find the courage.

Philip