Duncan Webb wrote:
> John Molohan wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm looking for feedback on your experience on the responsiveness of the
>> TV guide when scrolling in freevo-1.x. I know is a slow area for freevo
>> but for a long time I put my bad experience with big delays down to a
>> 1GHz athlon chip. That's now been replaced with a 2.4GHz P4 celeron but
>> I don't notice any improvement. Scrolling in the guide pushes my cpu
>> usage to 100%. My TV.xml file is 2.8M but I don't think that has
>> anything to do with it, I think it's just the redraw of the screen when
>> freevo has to display new program info as you move around.
>>
>> Does anyone using freevo-1.x have a guide that's nice and responsive to
>> scroll through? If so can you share some details of versions,
>> processors, cpu load, etc. that might shed some light?
>>

> You could try getting less days of data for your TV.xml to see if a
> smaller file makes a difference. How many channels do you have?

I have 19 channels. I normally grab 10 days worth of data with
tv_grab_uk_rt and then run tv_sort on it. I've just changed this to 1
and I'll do a test with that tonight and report back.
> With a small TV.xml (77K) and scrolling programs the load on the P3 is
> about 12% but it is difficult to say.

I know some of the P3s I've encountered make much more modern chips look
poor. Mostly thanks to a 512kb L1 cache.
> Could you be a bit more specific about what slow is? I did do some
> timings on the TV guide once upon a time. The timings were about 0.5
> seconds when scrolling about on a 733MHz P3.
>
> Duncan

Once I scroll off the data (or page if that's a better way to describe
it) that's displayed initially there's a long pause. I have too many
channels to list on screen at one time so for this to happen I can
scroll down until the guide has to start loading the channels that
weren't being displayed or alternatively scroll right or left to times
that weren't displayed. Once I do this I hit 100% cpu usage and the
guide pauses for maybe 250-500ms per half hour or hour of the guide
that's updated. Obviously this makes scrolling extremely slow, the lirc
commands will actually get queued as it's not refreshing quickly enough
meaning it's impossible to tell where you might end up from holding down
the remote for a few seconds.

A quick test with no TV.xml shows when I down scroll through the empty
guide to the channels that aren't displayed originally shows no delay at
all when the screen has to draw the next channels. CPU usage shows 60%
to 75% though while doing this.

With POLL_TIME=0.05 freevo's CPU usage is at ~19% when idle.

John