I need some help getting audio working with xine.

xine is running from a recent fedora 10 distribution.

lroom# xine --version
This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.5.
(c) 2000-2007 The xine Team.

The .xine/config file has this info for audio:

lroom# grep audio config | grep -v '#'
audio.driver:alsa
audio.device.alsa_front_device:default
audio.output.speaker_arrangement:Pass Through

My audio system uses spdif optical connection to my surround box.

If I run xine without a .asoundrc file, it works fine.

audio_alsa_out : supported modes are 8bit 16bit 24bit 32bit mono stereo
(4-channel not enabled in xine config) (4.1-channel not enabled in xine
config) (5-channel not enabled in xine config) 5.1-channel a/52 and DTS
pass-through
audio_out: thread created

I get into trouble when I introduce a .asoundrc file:

pcm.!default {
      type plug
      slave.pcm "Filter_RateConvert"
}

pcm.ac3_raw {
     type plug
     slave.pcm
"iec958:CARD=CMI8768,DEV=0,AES0=0x6,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x0,AES3=0x2"
}

pcm.ac3_encode {
     type plug
     slave.pcm "Filter_RateConvert"
}

pcm.Filter_RateConvert {
     type rate
     slave {
        pcm "stereoupmix"
        rate 48000
     }
}

pcm.stereoupmix {
     type upmix
     slave.pcm "a52encode"
     channels 6
}

pcm.pulse_a52 {
     type plug
     slave.pcm "a52encode"
}

ctl.pulse_a52 {
     type hw
     card "CMI8768"
}

pcm.a52encode {
     type a52
     card "CMI8768"
}

pcm.pulse {
     type pulse
}

ctl.pulse {
     type pulse
}

I need this .asoundrc for other reasons.  When I run with this
.asoundrc, xine won't load the alsa driver.  I don't get any
audio through oss because I need the spdif path.

snd_pcm_open() failed:-2:No such file or directory
 >>> Check if another program already uses PCM <<<
load_plugins: failed to load audio output plugin <alsa>
main: probing <pulseaudio> audio output plugin
audio_pulse_out: host (null) sink (null)
E: core-util.c: Home directory /home/lroom not ours.
audio_pulse_out: failed to connect context object: Connection refused
load_plugins: failed to load audio output plugin <pulseaudio>
main: probing <alsa> audio output plugin
snd_pcm_open() failed:-2:No such file or directory
 >>> Check if another program already uses PCM <<<
load_plugins: failed to load audio output plugin <alsa>
main: probing <oss> audio output plugin
audio_oss_out: Opening audio device...
audio_oss_out: audio.device.oss_device_name = auto, probing devs
audio_oss_out: using device >/dev/dsp<
audio_oss_out: using SNDCTL_DSP_GETODELAY
audio_oss_out: supported modes are mono stereo (4-channel not enabled in
xine config) (5-channel not enabled in xine config) (5.1-channel not
enabled in xine config) a/52 pass-through
audio_out: thread created

I cannot figure out what alsa is looking for.  I certainly understand
that it doesn't like pcm.!default or similar.  I've tried using all
different configurations and settings in the config file.

I find the alsa .asoundrc syntax rather confusing at times.  I can
usually figure out what to do.  I'm at a loss trying to understand what
xine is complaining about.

Does anyone understand how all this works?

Given my .asoundrc, what do I need in the .asoundrc and/or my
.xine/config to get this working with .asoundrc?

Thanks,

Jim