On Thu, January 21, 2010 8:23 pm, Bernard Mentink wrote:

>> >     a) Why did "freevo -fs" work with the intel graphics?
>> >     b) Have you changed the syntax, and not updated the wiki? The wiki
>> >     here -> http://doc.freevo.org/QuickStartGuide says "freevo -fs",
>> >     probably other wiki's as well.
>>
>> Difficult one as with any change as this is version specific so upto 1.9
>> it is -fs and later it is -f
>>

> Hi Duncan,
>
> That's where I get confused. I am building the latest svn Freevo1.x branch
> which when you run freevo shows as 1.8.4 (from memory) which is a number
> "less" than
> the 1.9.0 branch. Does your comment still apply, i.e does "upto" mean a
> number less than 1.9?

I think the version from svn still says 1.8.4 like you say, this is merely
something that has been overlooked and not updated, don't worry about it
your using the correct version.

> The development versioning to me is very confusing, you have  1.x, a 1.9
> and
> a 2.0 branches, I do not know what the aim of each branch is? If 2.0 is
> for
> "radical" changes to the UI (which is what
> I am assuming) what is the purpose of the 1.x branch, which has active
> development of new features and 1.9 which is also being developed. It
> seems
> strange to me that a branch with a number of 1.8 has more/new features
> (i.e
> the new OSD stuff) than a version with a higher number (1.9)...........

1.x is the where all the latest developments on the 1.x version are made,
ie all the core from 1.x is the same but a few new features are added and
fixes are made nothing evolutionary.

1.9 is the bug fixing branch for the 1.9.x releases, no new features only
bugs get fixed here.

2.x is where the evolutionary changes are being made, ie new UI, new
record server, new division of roles between processes. Lots of changes
here no code (?possibly?) shared with the 1.x branch.

>> > Duncan, any idea what to try next.
>>

>> You need to remove freevo from the possible problems by running Xorg and
>> typing the command line in to an xterm window. The command line will be
>> in the main*log files when debug is active. This procedure is standard
>> problem solving technique and it should reveal what the problems are.
>>
>> In the past the ATI drivers were pretty poor but I've no experience with
>> later drivers, maybe they are better since AMD took over ATI.
>>
>> Duncan
>>

> Not sure what you mean here (by "command line").
> I run xorg, open up a shell and type Freevo ..... and that works fine as
> per
> my original post.
> It is only when I run "Freevo -f(-fs)" from a TTY terminal that I get the
> blackscreen issue, so how do I "remove" freevo from the equation, when it
> is
> Freevo that has the issue running it's own
> X window session ..... as I say again, normal xorg runs fine with the new
> ATI card .... and by the way, the new open source ATI drivers are great,
> better than the propriety drivers... ATI is now
> my preferred video card vendor..
>
> I have not seen any debug output messages from "Freevo -f" when I type
> this
> in a TTY session.

Try checking the X.org log file to see if that tells you why its not working.