Eureka! The hat goes on the head! (Sorry, couldn't resist a quote from Futurama)

I fixed the sporadic immediate shutdown issue. I had the good fortune of
watching it crash right in front of me after finishing a recording. I checked a
few things and found the filesystem was nearing capacity (again, the clean-out
daemon runs under the GUI), so I deleted a few things and tried the GUI and it
came up! A-ha!

Long story short, every time the remaining free space fell under the deletion
minimums, the GUI stopped working. I enlisted a host of print statements to
narrow down where it was crashing and on what particular program entry. It was
giving up trying to find the last-accessed time for a particular MPEG file.

I went to check the file and found out I had an orphaned FXD! The FXD existed
and was being put into the menu but the MPEG had somehow been removed. It was
trying to find the last-accessed time for a nonexistent file. Why it was
silently crashing, I'm not sure (unless it has to do with that process running
as a daemon). I deleted the orphan FXD and everything is back to normal. It
even cleaned up the directory back above space minimums.

By the way, the check on last modified time is something I added myself (and
haven't submitted yet) because I had run into trouble where if the Freevo was
recording and ran out of space while you were watching a previously recorded
show that happened to be the best candidate for deletion... it would delete it
while you were watching. Or it would delete it right after you finished
watching it, so you never got a chance to mark it to keep if you wanted to keep
it. I put in some code that anything accessed in the last 5 minutes would not
be put on the candidate list and it seems to work. But now I may need to add
some error-trapping to it. Or something to look for orphaned FXDs and/or MPEGs
couldn't hurt either.

Thanks for all your support my friends, even though this turned out to be
esoteric and weird. I figured it had to be, just by the way it was behaving.

James