I think I solved it on my own, after a bit of hammering and research. The
.pickle may have gotten truncated somehow, possibly when I did a hard-reset one
time during some recent tinkering.

I trimmed up the end of the file (as best I could tell), then spent way too
long
battling an EOFerror. Turns out Pickle was looking for the 's.' at the end of
the file. Once I added that, it re-loaded into the recordserver without
throwing
an exception.

Nothing has complained yet... so we'll see if it has its memory back.

James