On 02/05/2011 08:45 AM, Michel Hoogervorst wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I build myself a fresh new Freevo box, with on-board HDMI which will be used
> to connect te box to the TV. All works fine, but somehow I can't figure out
> how to disable DPMS.
>
> When playing video, somehow the screen stays on. My guess is that Freevo
> temporarily disables DPMS when playing video(?). When playing music however,
> after ten minutes the screen goes into power saving mode... and since the
> music is played over the same HDMI connection, all sound is instantly gone as
> well. Pretty annoying.
>
> In xorg.conf I deleted this line from the device section:
> Option "DPMS"
>
> But without any luck. The Xorg.0.log still says it is enabled. I added the
> line back in like this:
> Option "DPMS" "False"
>
> Now Xorg.0.log only says the module is loaded, but not that it is enabled.
>
> I added this to "ServerFlags":
> Option "NoPM" "True"
>
> Again... no luck.
>
> I added a simple script with only this to be loaded with freevo:
> xset -dpms
>
> But still the screen blanks after 10 minutes...
>
> Looking a bit further in the Xorg.0.log I found that it complained not to
> have a monitor-section for HDMI1. So, I opened xorg.conf, changed the
> identifier of the monitor from "monitor1" to "HDMI1" and added the "DMPS"
> "False" line. Now Xorg.0.log says "Output HDMI1 using monitor section HDMI1"
> and says DPMS is loaded but not enabled... and again, blank screen after 10
> minutes... *sigh*
>
> can anyone please tell me how to disable DPMS completely? I don't want it at
> all on my Freevo box. The machine is running Mandriva 2010.2 with Freevo
> 1.9.0.
>
> Many thanks in advance.

I have a similar, but I think different problem.  I have a LCD TV with multiple
inputs.  If I leave the input attached to Freevo, the video will stay on.
However, If I switch the input, then switch back to freevo, the video is black.
 I too have tried all various settings but simply cannot get this
issue resolve either.

I too use the xset -dpms switch on startup.

To be honest, I'm not sure if the issue is Xorg, the Video card, or the Display
itself.

Any advice appreciated too.

Thanks,

Jim

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option      "Xinerama" "0"
        Option      "AIGLX" "on"
        Option      "BlankTime" "0"
        Option      "StandbyTime" "0"
        Option      "SuspendTime" "0"
        Option      "OffTime" "0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
     Identifier     "Monitor0"
     VendorName     "Sharp"
     ModelName      "LC-42D62U"
     Option         "DPMS" "false"
     Option         "noDPMS"
     Option         "ModeValidation" "NoMaxPClkCheck"
     Option         "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "TRUE"
     Option         "ModeValidation" "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck"
     Modeline       "1920x1080_60-Sharp_D92U" 148.35 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080
1085 1090 1125 +hsync +vsync
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"