On Sun, 2011-02-27 at 13:51 +0900, Alan wrote:
> My HTPC usage is similar to yours, I don't have a tv tuner, I use it
> for movies and tv shows, music and occasionally gaming.
> A long time ago I was using MMS (My Media System) but then I moved to Freevo.
>
> MMS has some advantages over Freevo, namely the ability to create
> playlists through the interface, and then even save them. Its also way
> more stable and doesn't have the plethora of bugs that Freevo has.
> The CPU usage is way lower, probably because it is coded in C++.  The
> user interface is well designed and easy to use.
>
> On the downside, MMS is not so configurable nor themeable, less
> extensible (Freevo has a big number of plugins, although many don't
> work), and there hasn't been any release since 2009, which makes me
> think that its either very mature or it dying.

Interesting I've been using freevo for several years and haven't found
that many bugs... If you do find bugs please report them otherwise there
is no way we can fix them!

I would add that although there has been no official release in a while
there has been lots of work on svn and a beta before Christmas and
another in a few weeks. One of the changes that the next beta will
introduce is a significant drop in CPU usage. This will lead up to the
last release of 1.x branch but that just means there will be more focus
on 2.x.

Cheers

Adam