---
F R E N D Z  of martian
---
Hi,

>> ...a good resource on countersurveillance?  I would like to know how to
>> detect small recording devices in my vicinity.  I know it's paranoid, but
>as
>
>If it's the typical FM transmitter there is an easy way to detect it - get
>an FM receiver which covers the whole FM band (most radios don't) and sweep
>through the band, if you get a high pitched squeal you've got a transmitter
>in the room. The squeal is acoustic feedback, transmitted from the bug to
>the receiver and hence back round in a feedback loop.

...well this may not be sufficient - depends how paranoid one
wants to be - if your office is open to external contractors e.g.
cleaners or greenery maintainers then magnetic tape devices
can be placed and removed out of hours - these require higher spec
detection gear. There are also the Tempest type attacks (indeed
a year or two back a new variant was added where a software
virus was used to alter the VDU frequencies to transfer disk contents
straight out of the window). [Then there are exchange based phone
taps; a large US/UK spy base in Yorkshire; and I'm pretty sure the
WAP/WTLS is still with  weakened encryption - I can see why an
alternate location appeals - my vote goes to Ireland also !]

Anyway a couple of links for counter surveillance kit might include:
http://www.spymaster.co.uk/
http://www.intpro.co.uk/

K.

Sent to you via the frendz list at marsbard.com