Stephen,

Could you say more about how gradients *act* on a system?

I tend to think of gradients as new (non-adjoint) structure produced by
the application
of constraints between elements in a system.  That is, the constraints
form the context
(the DOF) for the gradient.

I think I may be able to reconcile this with Hubler's definition (some
problems with
that "well designed" part), but the the latter is more challenging.  Are
you saying
that gradients embody agency?  How do we describe the dissipative
capacity of a
degree of freedom so that we can characterize what happens when it
breaks down?

Hmmm, ok, I now think I see how to answer that, but lets see what the
comments are...

Carl