I think it's simply that Russel has his computer date wrong (one day early),
and while Outlook uses the local arrival time, Thunderbird uses the remote
sender's time.

Of course it's pretty absurd that in 2006 we still don't have computers on
networks naturally synchronized time-wise by default. At a minimum to within
a second or two.