Holy cow!  I hadn't any idea just how far folks had to go to protect
themselves!  The fact that OCR doesn't help is quite surprising to
me.  Good article, thanks.

I'm still getting well over 200 hits a day, and no comment spam after
the two simple plugins.  And still don't need CAPTCHA, apparently ..
but I'll use it in a minute if I need to, its available for Textpattern.

I forgot to mention one other spam blocking trick Textpattern uses:
You *must* preview your comment before submitting it.  This kept the
comment spam away for over a couple of years, but now apparently is
being defeated by the blog spammers.

     -- Owen

Owen Densmore   http://backspaces.net