Hi Friamers -- I have something I need help with.

I want to build a version of the 80s toy "Simon" in the form of a 20'
ring of four skulls.

Simon was a small handheld toy which had four buttons. Lights beneath
the buttons would flash in a particular sequence, the player would
press the buttons to copy that sequence, and if the player keyed in
the sequence correctly, the player won the round, and Simon would
start again with a faster, more complex sequence.

In this implementation, each skull's eyes light up, and the skulls use
Gumstix boxes (gumstix.org) with WiFi to coordinate the sequences of
their flashes. The user runs from skull to skull carrying a wand,
which contains either a fifth Gumstix or maybe a simple Bluetooth
device, and the wand, by proximity to a given skull, triggers that
skull to flash. Waving the wand at a given skull is therefore
equivalent to pressing a particular button. Strictly speaking, waving
the wand is not necessary, you just have to get it close to the skull,
but the wand will be decorated and waving it will be encouraged.

I should point out that these would in fact be animal skulls from
Jackalope on Cerrillos, not human skulls.

The goal here is basically an interactive art installation which is at
once terrifying, silly, grotesque, and fun.

The problem is, although software to trigger flashing lights in
aribtrary sequences is obviously pretty easy to write, and Gumstix
makes the hardware part easy too, I haven't figured out how the "magic
wand" part will work. I really know absolutely nothing about how to
solve this kind of problem; I don't even know whether WiFi or
Bluetooth would make more sense for this.

The ideal solution would be something incredibly simple, where a skull
would only become alerted to the wand's existence if the wand was in a
particular range of X feet, with X ideally being a small number like
5, and further, where the wand's signal could only be picked up by any
one skull at a time. One suggestion I've gotten is to use a TV remote
inside the wand, and add remote sensors to each skull, but I think
more elegant solutions are possible. I just don't know what they might
be.

--
Giles Bowkett
http://www.gilesgoatboy.org