I found the slides (linked in the article) more informative than the blog article. But on the issue of Visualization ¿Science? I see it is as a suite of Visualization Technologies:

1) that allows the creative mind the opportunity to discover new or hidden relationships in data that otherwise might not be seen. Such insights allow real science to be pursued in the classical process of observation, hypothesis, experiment, measurement, analysis and duplication. Visualization of data collected during this process is a valuable activity but not science itself. Visualization Technology supports the scientific process - revealing relationships such as causal phenomenon.

2) that allows the creative mind to present large amounts of data and their complex relationships. This is useful in GUIs and navigation of related data - revealing and simplifying complexity such as communication networks.

3) that allows the creative mind to display and model complex systems, and analyze their performance - revealing detail in simulations of real world systems.

Engineering uses knowledge to build machines. Science uses machines to build knowledge. Technology is the practical application of knowledge. I'd hate to get the terms confused. Obviously I thing creativity is key to successful visualization efforts.

See my longer discussion on visualization in http://www.cirrillian.com/news0202.html.

Robert C
www.cirrillian.com

Owen Densmore wrote:

I really like this article included in the blog:
  The Loneliness of the Visualization Critic
  http://eagereyes.org/blog/loneliness-of-the-visualization-critic.html

    -- Owen

Owen Densmore   http://backspaces.net