  From: Robert Cordingley
  To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
  Sent: Friday, January 19, 2007 2:19 PM
  Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Flocking

  Really impressive.  A while ago my daily commute took me out past the rice
fields south of Houston.  Once a year we would see migrating 'rice birds' in a
'contiguous' tube-like flock stretching from one horizon to another while
rising above the hedge rows.  (But that was before digital cameras.)  The flock
might drift from side to side but the birds just kept on coming and coming and
coming.  These flocks too showed a sharp boundary between relatively evenly
spaced birds to none.  What's the story behind boundary effects/observations I
wonder.

  Douglas Roberts wrote:
    I know you FRIAM'ers are fond of flocking behavior:

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8761390434094738310&pr=goog-sl

    --
    Doug Roberts, RTI International
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]