This is in an open area, I should be able to bring a few folks in if there is interest... I'm not on this e-mail much so, call me at 455-2696 this weekend if you want to come in with me.

Subject: Chaomei Chen - Monday 02/05/07   Information Visualization

Chen is Editor in Chief of the InfoViz Journal
<http://www.palgrave-journals.com/ivs/journal/v5/n4/>
and author of Information Visualization in Virtual Environments
 <http://www.springer.de/cgi-bin/search_book.pl?isbn=1-85233-136-4>
and many scientific papers <http://www.pages.drexel.edu/%7Ecc345/>
 will speak at LANL next Monday...

Mapping Scientific Frontiers:
From Information Extraction to Pathways of Knowledge

*Chaomei Chen, Drexel University*

Physics Auditorium    10:30 a.m. Monday, February 5, 2007

From: Nancy Ambrosiano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: January 30, 2007 5:12:47 PM MST
To: TR-all messages:;
Subject: TR Colloquium Mon. Feb. 5

TR Colloquium

Mapping Scientific Frontiers:
From Information Extraction to Pathways of Knowledge

Chaomei Chen, Drexel University

 Physics Auditorium
10:30 a.m. Monday, February 5, 2007

Identifying and tracking the development of scientific frontiers is expected to have profound and direct implications for many practical areas such as sense-making and decision-making activities as well as scientific discoveries and other intellectual works. Research in this area faces profound challenges due to diverse, volatile, incomplete, and constantly changing data, due to the complexity and scalability of existing technologies, and due to intellectual dynamics and its societal nature. Chen will address the significance of an integrated macroscopic-microscopic approach and illustrate the potential and challenges of information extraction, modeling, visualization, and integration with emphases on exemplary tasks such as fostering scientific discoveries, differentiating conflicting opinions, and tracking thematic changes.

This talk is unclassified and open to badgeholders.

Contact: W C. Priedhorsky

--

Nancy W. Ambrosiano
 Senior Public Information Officer

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate