Phil wrote: Hey, did you know that network maps are real categories of real
systems that are amenable to mathematical analysis??  That's a first!   I
luckily had a great conference on the subject come to town and am enjoying
it thorough ally.   The pure theory guys are still sort of at sea I think,
but I would anyway whether they were or not, right ??   :))

I always thought network maps would probably cause slow progress in the
formal mathematical analysis arena. If the nodes are symmetric (or fixed in
a similar manner) then Graph Theory and Stochastic Markov Chains can be
applied. But when a network contains dissimilar node types, the test cases
break the symmetry of node traversals. Each traversal becomes a convoluted
composite recursive function.

It should be no surprise that the complexity that arises in these types of
functions is deliberately exploited in cryptographic message digests.

Just look at one hop in the SHA-1 algorithm
http://www.md5security.com/sha-hash-functions/cat.php. It uses 80 hops just
generate the final hash, which is like a network (list) of 80 chained nodes.
A real network is neither a chain nor a tree. It has ugly stuff, like
cycles, state, reconfiguring properties, and errors.

I would be interesting in where the analysis has evolved to.

Robert Howard
Phoenix, Arizona

  _____