This article in Science is the reference I'm probably remembering.

   http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/sci;312/5781/1767

A citation search would probably find the rest of this discussion, this
paper reports that 15 different cultures all show a willingness to punish
selfish behavior even if it hurts the punisher.  The norms of fairness which
trigger altruistic sacrifice vary between cultures, and the amount of
sacrifice varies as well, but they all do it.

-- rec --