I am disturbed by the non-sequitur inherent in the Subject and Body of
this article:   It suggests that the Web inherently *should* make
Americans more well informed.

3  points:

1) I agree that these are not particularly important questions in their
own right, but they *are* hugely  significant indicators of how
uninformed the folks who were "studied" are on this type  of details,
and I agree with Owen that is scary that "anyone ALIVE in the US ...
cannot answer these".

2) The internet, in my opinion, is still mainly a reference source...
Somewhere between a dictionary or encyclopedia and a newspaper or
magazine subscription.

If people aren't interested in these kinds of facts, they won't look
them up and they won't "subscribe" (e-mail lists, blogs, podcasts,
news/information web sites) to sources that provide them.   Like the
folks I grew up around whose only reading material was their
subscription to GRIT or Nat'l Enquirer.

3) If there is a correlation, perhaps it is a negative one... the ratio
of "important" (by some measure) factoids to the "unimportant" (by any
measure) has plummeted, no?

Even TV (with 182 channels) in it's "ubiquity" has aggravated this.
At 5 or 6 PM and 10 PM each night in my youth, *any* television running
would be showing news... mediated by a local station such that anyone
within earhshot would hear their Gov's name as well as the VP's and
some of the other facts in question fairly frequently.   Today
specialized channels like ESPN, MTV, TBS, HBO, Science, Discovery, even
CNN (and all of their competitors/wannabes) mean that you can run your
TV night and day and never hear most of these things (even with CNN you
won't hear your Gov's name often unless he's a bombast like our own).

At the newsstand there are hundreds of magazines where there were once
tens.   Geeks like us maybe all read Byte and now Wired (haven't had a
subscription in a decade myself) and maybe Nature/Science/SciAm  and
maybe Fashionistas all read Cosmo (or whatever is equivalent) but the
competition for eyeballs (and ears) is fierce... and a lot that is
being offered up is overly refined (like white sugar, flour,
corn-syrup, textured-vegetable-protein, etc.) to do more than satisfy
(seduce) the most immediate of appetites.

I sorta have to agree: Just how IMPORTANT are any of these questions?