I've always been at a bit of a loss to understand why novelist Cormac McCarthy is in residence at SFI (apart from the fact that he's brilliant and so are a lot of people there, and I'd certainly have him in residence in my office if I could); but reading his Nobel- winning post-apocalyptic "The Road" I came across two lines in as many pages that started to make it more clear:

"The last instance of a thing takes the class with it. Turns out the light and is gone."

"Query: how does the never to be differ from what never was?"

That's enough to make afternoon tea more interesting...
db

dba | David Breecker Associates, Inc.
Santa Fe: 505-690-2335
Abiquiu:   505-685-4891