  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Pamela McCorduck
  Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 1:33 PM
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; The Friday Morning Applied Complexity
Coffee Group
  Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Information technology judiiciary.

  Nick. I share your outrage--was just on the phone to an old pal who used
to be John Kerry's legislative director. Those supine Democrats! I hate to
give up my right to vote in a primary, but I'm appalled by both parties
right now, and certainly don't feel I belong to the Democrats, who not only
gave away my civil protections, but also my money to agri-biz, while my own
senator is giving it away to the hedge fund boys. This isn't any party I
want to be part of.

  My pal explained it as "inside the Beltway thinking," which is to say, "we
can't hand the Republicans this issue right before an election..." Why not?
Why not explain to Americans just what got handed where?

  I don't want to turn FRIAM into a political bulletin board, so perhaps I
should simply say that yes, I agree that data mining presents very different
issues, and needs some imaginative ideas for privacy protection.

  P.