Glen,

I generally agree with your remarks.   However, I don't think government
mandated backdoors are a wise idea because governments can be much as
the problem as the solution.  Consider a modern day case of Nazi
Germany, and trying to get money, instructions, or supplies to relatives
so that they could escape or hide.  I think its reasonable to assume
that the spies of such a world power would be able to steal the back
door keys and algorithms from another, and one would want to be very
sure that communication could occur in a secure way.   I would rest much
easier knowing there were no such back doors.

Marcus