Nick --

I can't tell whether you're worried that I'm misrepresenting the findings of
the paper or that the authors are ignorant of island biogeography.

I said: "The second, which was published a day earlier, is about the same
thing, only for real.  The environment in Madagascar is diverse, but the
diverse regions all share an unpredictable rainfall through the year and
year to year.  This unpredictability is proposed to contribute to the
unusual diversity of mammals found."

Maybe diversity is the wrong word.  It isn't the one the authors chose in
their abstract.  The issue is the extreme spread of life cycle adaptation
among the mammals found.

-- rec --