From: Ian P. Cook
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 8/14/2007 5:01:42 AM
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Pascal's Wager and Kant's Categorical Imperative

David,

>And BTW, I think the Pascal analogy is excellent, with due attention to
>Marcus' caveat about measurability.
>db

I guess I'd seen Marcus' point as demonstrating why Pascal's wager wasn't at
all applicable. As I understand it, the wager is entirely dependent on the
payoff to believing in God's existence (and God existing) being infinite. It's
the only way it totally dominates all other actions (vs non belief whether God
does or does not exist, that is). Otherwise it's just a cost-benefit
calculation. And while we can certainly talk about the benefits of acting in
regards to climate change now even if the change isn't primarily anthropogenic
vs non-action when it is, the only way to make the analogy, I would think, is
to suggest that action now has an infinite payoff. The trouble with that,
though, is that it means we should accept ANY further wager that might result
in the outcome with the infinite payoff being realized. One should, it seems,
be willing to take my wager on whether or not I can personally reverse climate
change in exchange for all your wealth. Whether or not I could do it, there
just might be a non-zero subjective probability that I COULD, which means you
should take the bet -- since the expected payoff is still infinite -- and hand
over everything. In terms of Pascal's wager, that is the argument for doubters:
if you are even willing to entertain a tiny belief that there is some non-zero
probability that God exists, you should still pray/become a "believer". No
matter the personal effort and cost of belief, there is no way it will surpass
the expected value of the bet. This doesn't work if the payoff isn't infinite,
since some countervailing return to tip things back towards the non-believer
side.

On 8/14/07, David Breecker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Sorry Nick, I inadvertantly omitted your key question to which I was replying,
which was:

>>I do worry about complexity thinking leading to fatalism.  If a goddamned
butterfly can cause a climate crash, why take responsibility for ANYTHING
we do.  We should all be dionysians.

I think Kant offers a solid explanation for why one should (must) act
"responsibly."   At the very least, he's the only reason I vote in Presidential
elections.  More tomorrow if folks are still interested, when I'm less
Dionysian and more sober-- I mean, Apollonian ;-)