Glen E. P. Ropella wrote:
>> Option 1 is that a recipient can't understand a concern or is unable to
>> act on a request for change from a signaler
>> Option 2 is that a recipient understands the concern but has a different
>> value system from the signaler that renders it moot
>>
>> If the effect of their behavior is damaging in some important way to the
>> move themselves.
>>

> Well, that's an awfully _binary_ way to think. [grin]  I'd suggest there
> are a countable infinity of other options as well.  One such option
> (let's say option 3) is to keep the recalcitrant recipient in the large
> group and form a still smaller group within the larger group that does
> not include the recalcitrant recipient.
The binary in-group, out-group way of thinking is common in many real
organizations and communities.
But it is smarter to diversify, to have hedges and multiple membership
if that's at all doable.   Group cohesion is a fine thing to seek, but
not without other irons in the fire -- an escape plan for all
concerned.   The internet, and social networking as the latest fad
instance of it, helps to give people these alternatives..