I have an ongoing cognitive conflict w.r.t. the principles I infer from
complexity theory and my ethical indoctrination/rearing.  Perhaps some
of you wise ones can throw some words at the conflict to help me sort it
out.

The primary principle I've inferred from complexity theory (such as it
is) is:  the extent versus the objectives of control structures should
show something like an inverse power law to maintain a balance between
diversity and efficacy.  (It's not my intention to start an argument
about whether complexity theory really implies this... So, if you
criticize that part of this e-mail, I'll just remove the reference to
complexity theory and such removal won't damage the point.)

The primary ethical rule I've been taught to hold is that all people are
equivalent but never equal and that the extent of the equivalence
depends on the chosen equivalence class.

I'm currently living through a transition in my political views.  I used
to be a hardcore libertarian and believed, fundamentally, that non-local
government is incapable of governing many variables.  I'm not saying
that there are particular variables they can or can't regulate.  I'm
saying there's a limit to the total _number_ of variables, whatever they
are, that a massive, global structure like the feds can handle.  For
example, the federal government here in the states can govern some
number of variables (say 10 million) but cannot govern as many as can be
governed by decentralized, local government.

But, the implications of the limitation are that humans in one part of
our country may be horribly abused, oppressed, ignored because the
federal government has chosen to concentrate its energies on a set of
variables unrelated to that particular local abuse or oppression.  And
my ethical upbringing makes me think that our nation-wide government
ought to govern all the variables according to some universally
applicable human standards, regardless of how many variables that comes
to.  For example, I tend to believe that nobody in the US should starve.
 In the past, I would have argued against the centralized control over
food distribution.  I would have said that it's good for a small segment
of the population to enjoy steak and champagne while the large segments
have to stick to McDonald's and Schlitz Malt Liquor.  But, as I get
older, my resolve has started to crumble.  This is made especially acute
when I see blatantly unethical behavior on the part of the rich white
guys who run our government.

Of course, my libertarian mind makes the statement that all of us are
just exploiting the resources available to us.  And that makes me want
to cheer on the Karl Rove's of the world!  Congrats!  You win!  Guys
like that are a healthy example of the rich diversity of control
structures we facilitate in our society, evidence that the inverse power
law remains.

But then my upbringing tells me that Karl Rove is just a slimy perverted
opportunist who needs regulation by the populace.

The problem with that upbringing is that the more of these regulations
we make more universal (increase the extent of a control structure), the
less agile we'll be when the environment changes (e.g. climate change
forcing evacuation of coastal cities or the collapse of the dollar in
the wake of a financial attack by China... or whatever).  Hence, the
more we _allow_ diverse individuals (including slimy perverts) their
diversity, the more agile we'll be as a collective when the sh*t hits
the fan.

For example, look at all the people who are _completely_ dependent on
the federal government for their well-being: FDA, Army Corps of
Engineers, FEMA, high-risk mortgage bail-outs for low-income home
owners, FDIC insured banks, well-maintained highway infrastructure, etc.

Any thoughts on how to reconcile these two contradictory principles
(high diversity versus universal human properties) are welcome.
Luckily, as Lovecraft once said:  "The most merciful thing in the world,
I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its
contents."  So, even if they remain contradictory, I can retain (and be
hypocritical about) both of them.  But, given the recent conversation
about networks and cliques, I figured I'd throw this out and see what
came back. [grin]

- --
I have an existential map. It has 'You are here' written all over it. --
Steven Wright