The price change reflects, I suspect, inflation and "runs over the budget."
However, if you donate $400 to the cause, that buys one device that goes to
some kid in the developing world and you, sir, receive the second to use as
you will.  So it's a $200 per unit cost.

I have one,  and while I haven't had time to fully test drive it (no manual,
for example), so far it strikes me as a tool with wonderful potential for
revolution.

-tj

On Dec 30, 2007 10:36 AM, Carver Tate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hey everyone, I am interested in donating a laptop for the OLPC
> program, but I have a question that I can't find an answer to on their
> website.  They are asking you to donate 400 dollars for one laptop,
> but I thought the laptops were only suppose to cost 100 dollars to
> produce.  Do you know what the other 300 dollars is for?  Thanks and
> happy new year!
> - Carver
>

> --
> "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the
> intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

J. T. Johnson
Institute for Analytic Journalism -- Santa Fe, NM USA
www.analyticjournalism.com
505.577.6482(c)                                 505.473.9646(h)
http://www.jtjohnson.com                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the
existing model obsolete."
                                                  -- Buckminster Fuller